Everything on JUMIA
Sports

Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared of six counts of rape

0 0
Read Time:2 Minute, 41 Second

Following a six-month trial, a jury in the UK on Friday exonerated Manchester City and France midfielder Benjamin Mendy of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against four women.

A seventh charge of rape and one of attempted rape were not decided by the jury of seven men and four women.

Footballer Benjamin Mendy cleared of six counts of rape

Later, the prosecution said that they will ask for a new trial on those counts.

Prosecutor Matthew Conway informed Chester Crown Court, “We have decided today to proceed on these offences in two separate trials.”

As the findings were announced, Mendy, 28, who had contested all nine of the charges against the six women, covered his face with both hands and rocked back and forth.

The football player was “delighted that he has been unanimously cleared” of the majority of the allegations he faced, according to Jenny Wiltshire of Mendy’s attorneys Hickman & Rose.

He hopes to be exonerated of the other two accusations so he may begin rebuilding his life, she continued.

The two counts on which the jury was deadlocked were given a new trial start date of June 26 by Judge Steven Everett.

“Jurors frequently fail to reach verdicts on certain counts. You must fulfill your obligations, “Everett remarked as he praised them and granted them a seven-year exemption from jury duty.

The jury had been deliberating since early December after beginning to hear the case in August of last year, with a lengthy hiatus during the Christmas and new year holidays.

Club responds

Mendy was charged with three counts of rape involving two teens, along with 41-year-old suspected “fixer” Louis Saha Matturie, who was found not guilty by the jury.

Three charges of rape and three counts of sexual assault against Matturie by five other women were also left unresolved by the jury.

At parties held at Matturie’s opulent home, the prosecution claimed that Mendy was a sexual “predator” who raped or abused young ladies who had been lured there by Matturie.

Mendy said that they never forced any woman into having sex, and both claimed that all of their relationships with women were voluntary.

He admitted during testimony that he enjoyed “having sex with a number of women.”

But he added that he would “be fine, I’d accept it and I’d quit” if a woman said “no”.

He acknowledged that he might be “disrespectful” when talking about women, but claimed that he had thought it was “normal” to sleep with multiple people in one night and “didn’t think” about taking contraception.

“Given there are outstanding matters relating to this case, the club is not in a position to comment further at this time,” read a statement from Mendy’s team, Manchester City.

Mendy transferred from the French club Monaco to Manchester City in 2017. He has participated in 75 games for City, although injuries and a decline in form cut into his playing time.

Since August 15 of 2021, when he was initially charged with four charges of rape and one count of sexual assault, he has not played.

The defender won the World Cup in 2018, and his last of 10 appearances for France occurred in November of that same year.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Don’t miss on latest news and movie updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and join other subscribers.

Related Articles

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button